Why is money withheld from me?

Q: Why is money withheld from me?
A: The U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires Mahjong.com to withhold a portion of the winnings paid to certain players.

If you have a U.S. Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), fill out the W-8BEN form. If you do not have an ITIN, you will need to obtain one before you can fill out the W-8BEN. You can obtain ITIN by going to the to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service website.

If you are a U.S. citizen and have won over $600, you are required to submit a W-9 Form for tax reporting purposes. If you choose not to submit this form, we are required to withhold 28% of your winnings (your competition winnings minus entry fees for those competitions which resulted in winnings). You can go back and submit the form any time and prevent further tax withholding. All tax withholdings will be remitted to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service in compliance with the IRS rules and regulations. Such tax withholdings, once withheld, will not be refundable to you by us for any reason.

If you have submitted a tax form (either a W-9 or a W-8BEN, depending on your status) you will receive a report of your income and withholdings at the end of each year.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk